Wednesday, August 08, 2007

katie's latest

well, these are a couple of my latest creations:
this bracelet is for my cousin who is unwell, and residing half a world away.

and this necklace is for my longtimefriend leigh who just turned thirty.

i am finding that i can't get away from *symbolism* - making things that mean something to the wearer.

i had an experience last month when a friend's daughter died and i didn't know what to say, but i wanted to bring something of myself to her, so i opened up my bead suitcase and made her a bracelet with three heart beads (she has three children) and some pearls and some crystal sparklies. i know the bracelet isn't quite her style, but she wore it the whole weekend. and i think she felt loved by that.

so i am finding that the whole jewellery-making, bead-threading thing is evolving into a whole different buzz than just making the money from my passion.
i blogged some thoughts about that here.

anyways, we've been quiet for a while, so am just popping my head in to say *hi* from The Sunny Bay where winter is almost over and summer is just around the corner... so inspiring!!
loads of love X

5 Comments:

Blogger Lizard said...

I think when we give gifts, the object becomes pointless. It is the act behind it that is treasured.

When my sister-in-law died at 21, Sweetpea showed up with fashion magazines. I needed something mindless to stare at. I hadn't eaten for days and she went in search of a protein shake for me. At the standing room only funeral where Wedding Girl sang Amazing Grace, I leaned back in the pew to look past Andrew to see Sweetpea and another friend. They both smiled encouraging smiles to me. It is those moments I remember...

I think your gift will be remembered by your friend forever.

12:51 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

oh liz, your words have caused tears to prick at my eyelids.
what a beautiful bond you girls have.

i love the intuitive nature that sweetpea has, bringing you something so beautiful and something so practical. cos it's so hard to know what to bring in the dark moments.

and i think: yes, you are right, the bracelet caused a sort of "solidarity sister" moment to spring up between me and my girlfriend.

loads of love X

8:57 PM  
Blogger sweetpea said...

*tears*

6:32 AM  
Blogger Mexican Beauty said...

you have a gift to be able to give such personalized jewelry! i treasure such thoughtful, handmade presents.

7:24 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

thanks girls...
and thanks for making this blog such a welcoming safe place to wear my heart/art on my sleeve
*guffaw*
seriously though, i love getting glimpses into your worlds, thanks for the warmth and love shared X

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home