Thursday, November 16, 2006

katie's brave retro exhibition

Ok, Lizard: because you asked...

It may sound a tad eccentric, but whenever I make *stuff* for myself, it has to have meaning.
Things usually go in fives (for my kids) or sevens (for our family). And it has to have *texture*. I'm a smeller, a feeler...
So these cushions (strips of material, pieced horizontally), which rest on our couch ("Don't sit ON the cushions, my dahlings, you're popping the buttons off. Sit BESIDE them..") tell the story of our family's move from The Big Smoke (hubby and I lived there for thirty-odd years) to The Sunny Bay.

The gang (seven petalled flower)


moves to a new life (koru shaped buttons)


in The Sunny Bay (buttons in waves)


So then I made this pink/brown bag (the seven-petalled flower again, and the L-O-V-E for hippie me) last October to go with me to Sydney to see one of my favourite people for a decadent girls' week. Oh I have fabulous memories of that week!!!


.. and in July this year, I took it to London/Paris for my brother's wedding.
It used to have funky little pink flower sequins all sprinkled in the centre of the flower, but the tulle ripped and they fell out during our travels.
I'd like to think that I left them, like little memory-petals, dancing around Europe.

4 Comments:

Blogger sweetpea said...

i love these--i love that you made them. esp. like the buttons on the second pillow...

7:22 PM  
Blogger Lizard said...

I think these are beautiful! I love that they reflect both you and your culture. I really want to see New Zealand!!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Mexican Beauty said...

WOW!! I love it all. You are really talented. The pillows are so great and even more great that they mean something to you.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Mexican Beauty said...

and by "more great" i mean "greater." it's been a long week...

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home