Saturday, October 14, 2006

SPC: eye spy fear


i have had imperfect vision for as long as i can remember.

i've worn glasses since i was six, and now i'm a minus nine in one eye and a minus ten in the other.
minus twenty is complete blindness.. so i can see clearly up to about two-thirds the length of a new pencil in front of my eyes, and anything beyond that is blurry (sorry, lost my ruler, had to resort to a pencil-measure lol).

three weeks ago i smashed my glasses on the tile floor of my bathroom, and since then i've been wearing my really old, huge, nineties specs.. or my contact lenses, which give me excellent vision but make me really grumpy: it's like having a grain of sand permanently wedged in behind my eyelids.

today i viewed a dvd on lasik eye surgery and promptly burst into tears.
the idea that i could have this miracle blew me away..
and all for only $NZ5600, payable over three years..
tempting, so tempting.

but: holding my eyelids open while a light burns into my cornea??
freaky.
and will my eyes be able to be operated on, or will they say no??

"Your Westley is dead. I killed him myself."
"Then why is there fear behind your eyes?"
(any Princess Bride fans here??)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mexican Beauty said...

oh my goodness! this totally hits home with me....i am not quite as nearsighted as you, but close. i am completely helpless without contacts or glasses and that fact is VERY scary sometimes. when i shoot weddings the must-haves in my bag (next after my cameras) are an extra pair of contact lenses and my glasses just in case. if i ever lost a contact while i was shooting....i'd be completely helpless the rest of the day...not to mention i wouldn't be able to drive myself home.

also, i can't see in some of my dreams/nightmares. and those are the worst...

7:12 AM  
Blogger sweetpea said...

yep. i'm a as blind as WG.....it's hard to explain to someone with good eyesight that without glasses or contacts, I literally can't recognize a face--it's just a peach blur.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Lizard said...

I thought I was looking at myself for a moment-weird. My eyes are unevenly bad. My left is near perfect and my right eye is extremely farsighted. I have been increasingly wearing my glasses around the house, not to just read. Sam announced to me last week that he likes me better without them. Sorry, Buddy-mama needs them!!

(Isn't it great when your children are old enough to have opinions over your physical appearance??!)

7:36 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

lol chicks...
i know exactly what ya all mean.
and yes lizard, i have a personal style guru in *my* sam too.. he is the one who *knows* what to wear!!!

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home